CarpForum - Fishing Forum
   [Log-In] or [Register]
Bulk Fish Pellets
Advertise to thousands of anglers a day!  Click HERE to see how
      Home            Search       Help / FAQs   Rules / Usage 
Who's Online Member List      Articles           Gallery           Weather     
  New Posts: 0
 New Posts  Specialized Hook Baits - Catch Report and Q+A
 [Log-In]  [Register]
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1669 30 Jun 2023 at 1.38pm  3  Login    Register
And also, any of you who have read that Theale & Nursery thing. Theale lagoon is likely the most sort after ticket in the land, numerous people offering many, many 1000ís for a £300 ticket. The Nursery was likely one of the best kept secret lakes in the country before it went syndicate.

Iím on holiday too. I got roasted by my missus when I wrote both. Youíre reading them for free.

I know how much you all spend on pop ups remember. There are some loaded mofos on this forum. Thereís also tonnes of anglers looking in as guests. More than any of you can imagine in fact. If you donít all go and donate for MND & Paul Forward on that linkÖ. I will personally find every single one of your wives and girlfriends and then tell them how much you REALLY spend on pop ups and fishing kit. Not what you lie to her, the truth. 😂

It will be far less aggravation for you to just go donate a few quid if you can afford too. Remember, I know what you spend on hook baits. I already know that most of you can afford it. 😂

We still have a two week waiting time on the front of the website. But yesterday all orders were cleared up until the 22nd. Anyone looking in as a guest waiting for orders up till then they should be there today.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1668 30 Jun 2023 at 11.34am  2  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1666
Thank you. It was so much more hard work than I could describe in something that was being written to go on social media for charity. It could only be a certain size/length what I wrote.

I know people fish in France at extreme range. But that is not on a UK gravel pit choked with weed. One where you might have thirty minutes using the boat most days, just before dark to get the rods sorted. The sailing club had a bar, they stay to past 9pm most evenings. Ovbs fish had to be landed from boat. Leads could not be. They all had to be reeled in from 550m.

It would take me 30 minutes to reel in each rod. I needed a break after each rod. Sometimes the lead would pick up a weedbed on it the size of a small car. It could take me virtually an hour to get one rod back in that scenario. One hour to reel a weedberg in from nearly half a mile out. I can still remember one time having to reel four rods in quickly because I had to go for a small emergency. I could barely feel my arms for two days. They still hurt the following week when I returned.

Thatís just from reeling in. Reeling in itself, became an anticipated nightmare for my arms well in advance on every session. Sometimes the weedbergs were so big I had to straight rod it slowly. Like easing a snag in, but from half a mile out 😂

I had to have my front suspension replaced on my Mercedes estate fishing car. The pit destroyed the front suspension in five minutes flat. My friend wrecked his van too. Thereís no wood chipped swims or manicured tracks.

So much more than I could ever describe, than in that thing written below that could only be a certain length.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1667 30 Jun 2023 at 11.25am  0  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1665
Thank you for donating, and for the kind words.
Posts: 433
   Old Thread  #1666 29 Jun 2023 at 8.50pm  1  Login    Register
What a story of graft graft and more graft , well earnt fish amid the gut wrenching feeling of losing huge fish , read it twice mate as it inspires me in in my modest attempt to catch a huge barbel from a stretch of river that has otters, weed , canoes and not knowing where the fish are at any time , loved it mate !
Posts: 639
   Old Thread  #1665 29 Jun 2023 at 8.24pm  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1664
What a fabulous read that is. Thanks for posting it mark. Inspiring.
Ive chipped in a few ££.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1664 29 Jun 2023 at 9.09am  8  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1663

Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1663 29 Jun 2023 at 8.55am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1662
Theale Lagoon 2021.

The story actually starts a few years previous. I had kept close tabs on the pit for many years. I knew the man that ran the syndicate from the old RMC forum, back in the early days of the internet. I first acquired a ticket for the pit in 2018. I had a few sessions, and caught the first fish of the year from the sailing club swim. Only a small common, but it was nice to catch one from such a monstrous pit on one of my first trips. Unfortunately I did not get back near the swim again all spring. Work was becoming more of a monster, and I had met a beautiful Brazilian woman in London. That led to me spending the next year or two, flying backwards and forwards to Brazil during any spare time which I had, after she had returned home. We were actually due to get married during the start of Covid, but travel restrictions and the world shut down soon put paid to that. I had already purchased a beautiful apartment in northern Brazil, inside a gated community, and fallen in love with the country. I'd never been any further than Spain before we met, not for many years either! Suddenly I was flying transatlantic far to much. 2020 was the year of Covid. We were all forced to stay at home. I knew I had a ticket for the pit again, starting at Xmas. I was praying that Covid would not ruin that! The world was in lockdown, but I was allowed to travel to Brazil in January 2021, because my missus was Brazilian. I returned late January, with every intention, of giving Theale Lagoon my full attention whenever I could around work.

Theale lagoon, is somewhere around 270 acres. It has a thirty man syndicate on it. It used to be run by both RDAA and Ameys at certain points in the past, when it was more famed for monster pike and massive match fishing weights. Those days are long gone. Previous to the M4 being built, it was actually somewhere around 400 acres in total size. The M4 cut that down to around 270 acres. When I rejoined in 2021, it held a known stock, of somewhere around thirty, to thirty five carp. The pit is situated in Theale, on the outskirts of Reading. The carp in the pit had been stacking on the weight really fast. The biggest mirror, known as 'the machine' had now gone above 55lb. There was likely another four fish at least over 50lb. Including a common that had also just been caught at 55lb. Another big fish also that had not been caught for a couple of years, which could be as big as those two, or bigger. The fish were putting on 4/5lb in between every capture now. And it would still throw up the odd unknown 40+! It was clear that the pit was changing, from somewhere where it had been previously very easy to obtain a ticket, into somewhere that very soon would have a long waiting list that absolutely 'everyone' wanted to jump on. A waiting list which would soon become closed it grew so fast. It was clear for all to see, that the pit would end up doing something really special in terms of size of carp. A small stock of carp, in an incredibly rich environment. It was always going to happen. Why more places can not grasp this and stock less carp, I personally do not understand. The numbers of fish in our syndicates, is vastly on the rise in the UK. To a point where a lot of places you see in the media, the lakes are so black with big carp, you could literally walk across the lakes on their backs. Theale lagoon is one mile long approximately. You have zero chance of even seeing a person on the far bank without binoculars. If you are at the opposite end of the pit, looking down it towards the M4, you can barely see the juggernauts hurtling along, as they are that small in the distance. Add to that, a stock of only around thirty, to thirty five carp, you can see that the place could be termed as a 'challenge'.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1662 29 Jun 2023 at 8.54am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1661
The sheer size of the pit, and the harsh conditions which that can bring with it are quite scary sometimes. Things can change fast as well. You need to make sure everything is well pegged down when the wind blows! I started back fishing, as soon as we were allowed out. That was in March. It was absolutely bitter that year, and freezing cold. The area where I had caught the small common, was a very popular area in the spring. I decided to leave this area alone. I wanted some space, and to explore the pit a bit more. Whilst everyone wanted to fish around the known area that the fish liked to visit in the spring.... It was the perfect opportunity to investigate some other areas that I had no knowledge of. I needed to build up a picture in my head of the pit. I had acquired an old depth map (shown in attached photos) that the sailing club who share the pit had produced many years previously. Between this and google earth, it was easier to build up a picture faster, while not even on the pit but at home. I started fishing an area on the opposite side of the sailing club, in a large shallow bay. The bay itself, must have been ten acres easily. It was very shallow all over, so in my mind, any warmth in the spring sun would also warm this area quickly too, and the carp would show up. It did not work. I blanked. I never saw a carp. I did catch a couple of bream at long range though. Fishing some 250m out to the entrance to the bay, next to the Burghfield sailing club itself, where they put the boats in and out. I caught these bream on long running chods, over low lying weed. I had watched some small signs of fish early one morning at long range. These turned out to be bream, but it was nice just to get a couple of bites which made the heart race a little. I was flitting around, trying to fish as many different swims as possible. Quite a few of the members had their own swims they already favored and liked to bait. The more mobile anglers, were mainly concentrating their efforts around the islands area, which had done a number of fish over the previous few springs. This was by far the most popular area on the pit. April and then May rolled in, still nothing had been caught. We were all told the pit had not done a carp for eighteen months or so, since before Covid... Although as it turned out later, one or two had been caught apparently but kept quiet. Now May was here, the weed had really started to sprout. I'd had a couple of trips on the motorway bank, in a swim around the very middle of the motorway bank itself. I had started putting a bit of bait in here, very close in. There was a lovely deep drop off. This was by far the deepest area on the pit along this margin. Created when the M4 was built as mentioned earlier, it was a very interesting margin. Large lumps of concrete and huge boulders lined the margins, the original base they put down before the motorway was built. House bricks, all sorts along the margins. The motorway was a nightmare.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1661 29 Jun 2023 at 8.53am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1660
Just fifty feet behind you, it would really take some getting used too. The noise was on another level. It's hard to even describe it. I ended up purchasing a very loud digital radio from Amazon, which I had running at full volume the whole time at rush hours. The swim I was in, the motorway was at it's closet point, so it seemed to get totally left alone. There was a lovely man who worked for the Angling Trust called Dean, who was fishing down in the far corner of the motorway bank. Dean was good friends with some one I knew well Adam. Anyway Dean had fished the pit for a number of years, and he was sound as a pound. An all round angler, not just carp. He'd caught some nice perch from the pit too. I'd just been catching some big barbel and pike from the Thames. We got on really well. Dean only really needed to catch the machine. He had already caught the big common named the football, due to it being as wide as it was long. He had also caught some other big fish from the pit. He was plugging away in the far corner of the motorway bank, whilst the rest of the members were up the other end around the islands as previously mentioned. I would be joining them again as well, my margin spot was producing nothing but tench. I started fishing in the large bay next to the sailing club again, a mile away at the opposite end of the pit. The weed had really sprouted now in this shallow water, and it just looked so right now. Now it was time to start applying some bait. I found a lovely small fine strip of gravel at around thirty yards. Perfect. It had fresh weed all around it, and when viewed from the boat it looked right. I started piling in the fermented garlic hemp. Two fifteen kilo buckets at a time. This was laced with a garlic oil which we make and goes into our garlic hook baits, with a good dose of salts. The reaction was immeadiate. The spot had only had five or six bait ups before the carp arrived. Smaller ones to start with. The weather was warmer, and the bay was starting to attract more attention too from other anglers. The bay is so shallow, it was so easy to spook them, I found this out almost immeadiatly. At 5am every morning, you would see paddle boarders emerge from the sailing club. This was often the kiss of death. The carp seemed to like to arrive at around the same time, but the moment the paddle boarders emerged, they would all disappear. They did not mind the boats so much, but they definitely did not like a human standing up on the skyline on a paddle board. Numerous mornings it looked like I was going to be in with a shout, and then the paddle boarders would emerge. They had every right too as well. But this just made things even harder. The carp started to smash the spot to bits, it was becoming very visible. I was working, but filling it in between weekly trips. One morning, I had the entire stock of the lake in front of me, the paddle boarders did not arrive. I was certain this was it. Over the space of the morning, the heads appearing over the spot got larger, and larger. The big fish started to bully the others off of the spot. They were claiming it as their own. Then two anglers arrived, doubled up in a swim along the bank and went out for a look in boats. Every fish in the shallow bay disappeared. I packed up and left. Cursing my luck, the pit was starting to hurt. I could see chances, but between carp anglers, and paddle boarders, it was so much hard work. I returned the following week, raring to get back in the same spot. The other anglers had clearly seen lots of fish too though, as they returned that day. Three fishing in a shallow bay, to much for me. I packed up and left again, and a decision was made that I needed to leave this area now. Despite the hard work, despite knowing that all the fish were visiting the spot, I had to walk away from it. Dean was down in the far corner that night. We spoke on the phone, I told him I was coming back down to the center swim on the motorway bank. But this time I was going long. REALLY long. I needed to get away from the carnage. The pit is a very public place, and during warm weather every swim is filled with sunbather/kids/swimmers. Between them, the paddle boarders who go round the edge, and eager carp anglers, I needed to do something different. I have used a boat my whole life, Virtually every venue I have ever fished, bar just a few, for forty years I have been able to use a boat. Even as a small kid at Johnsons. I'm good in a boat. I started looking for an area at extreme range. The center swim on the motorway bank I had previously baited in the margins, this gave access to the center of the lake, with no bouys in the way at all. There are not to many places on the pit where you can easily access extreme range because of the sailing clubs bouys. The center swim on the motorway bank was one though. And apart from me, no one had fished it that whole year. That night I found a large gravel area at approximately 500m or so in front of the center swim on google earth. I packed everything up that evening, ready to move first thing in the morning.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1660 29 Jun 2023 at 8.47am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1659
At first light I was up and packing away. I moved my kit down to the center swim on the motorway bank. I knew I did not have enough braid on my original Shimano long cast big bait runners right now.... But I also knew, from many years previously at Spinnaker in Ringwood, that I could get an entire 600m spool of .33 Gardner sinking braid onto the spools. I fished at extreme range on Spinnaker, across to the sailing club on that pit. I knew my reels were capable. But most importantly, I knew that I had the skills to fish at that range, and land them from the boat, which is essential. But this trip now was just camping, chuck some rods in the edge. The goal was find a spot at extreme range, which I could bait. No one else on the pit had any chance of fishing my spot, even if they wanted too at that time. So it was perfect, it was the way forwards. As I was setting up the bivvy, under the drones of the busy M4, I had a phone call from Adam. Dean had just landed the machine down in the corner, could I pop down and take some photographs for him, but keep it quiet! Of course I bloody could! Yessssssssssss Dean!!! I sorted my camera kit out, and ran down to the corner, which was a good 500m or more away. When I got there, me and another angler helped Dean to sort the machine out. It was absolutely ginormous. A decision was made that my scales were needed too, so I ran back down to the swim, and back again. I thought I was going to die. I cannot remember the exact weight, but it was 61lb+. It was monsterous. Absolutely monstrous. Poor Dean struggled to hoist him up, his bulk was a sight to behold. It was the best moments I had on the pit, it topped my own later captures. It was a happy morning, Dean had done it. Unfortunately, as it was the first carp out in a long while, and the biggest in the lake, it brought the whole syndicate straight down to the motorway bank. Two anglers were having a disscusion about who would follow Dean, before his rods were even reeled in. I felt for him. But nothing could take away from the joy of that morning, nothing at all. It's what carp fishing is all about. A UK 60+, from an inland ocean with barely any carp in. Get up there Dean!

Boats can only ever be used when the sailing club boats are not on the water, or the sailing club are even at their headquarters. I sat that afternoon, just waiting for them to leave so I could go find my spot. I had small paddles at this point, which I much prefer for 99% of boat work. But this was different. 500+ meters on a knarly big pit. The first time I paddled out there for a look, it felt like my arms would fall off. An engine was a big neccesity for landing the carp from the boat. I would need to be out to that 500m+ in rapid time with a hooked carp on. I found my spot, and it was absolutely epic. Surrounded by heavy weed, it was just big enough to nicely fit three rods on. The spot was likely six foot deep, surrounded by depths of ten foot. The weed came up to a height of around five foot at this time. I lined myself up with four sky markers, so I could easily find the spot again next time. I put 30kg of fermented garlic hemp on the spot that first day. I returned the following week with a new snazzy boat, a great big 110ah lesuire battery, and spools filled with 600m of sinking braid on each rod. Onto the end of that, I then had 50m of 20lb green Big game mono. Everything would be landed from the boat.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1659 29 Jun 2023 at 8.45am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1658
The weed was exactly the same color as the green Big Game. I needed the heavy mono, to absolutely make sure that the last 50m sunk right down into the weed. Big Game is tow rope. Theale lagoon is home to the Burghfield sailing club. Racing boats, power boats, all sorts of massive boats are always out on the water. To fish at what turned out to be nigh on 550m, I had to keep my lline right down in the water. Tips were on the bottom in the margins in five foot. Screwed down as tight as you could imagine with Solar titanium spring bow indicators. Three rods, all three with a 13mm balanced GPB1 hookbaits. These were fished over lashings and lashings of fermented garlic hemp. Up till that point, I had been using 12t rods on the pit. These were now gone. 10ft Tacklebox CFX 3.25lb rods were now the weapons of choice. Perfect for boat work being shorter. I already knew that the carp adored the fermented garlic hemp, it was just a case of now keeping this spot topped up to the maximum with it. No one had ever fished the spot before, it was mine and I knew it. A good feeling. I already knew what was coming if I'm honest, a serine calmness came over me. I blanked the next couple of trips, but with a big cheesy grin, because I knew what was coming. On my fourth trip, as I went out to place my rods, the machine swam past the boat. To see that carp in water was incredible. He was agitated too. He went and sat in the weed around four rod lengths away, but watching me the whole time. He's the king of the pond, and he was guarding 'his' spot. I knew he was dominating that spot. It had been smashed, it was now nearly half the size again. The surrounding weed was trashed, broken stems, weed all laying the wrong way. You could see big carp had been feeding hard and excited. But now there was only one, the king was guarding the spot. He certainly did not like me being there for sure, he was certainly not afraid of the boat either. All three rods were placed, all three lines fanned as they were laid. A very important part of fishing three rods, on one spot, at such extreme range. Those lines must be laid correctly on the return. I was so excited, I had to do everything right. It was all completed perfectly. On my last drop, there was now another mirror lurking too, slightly further away from the spot, but clearly there for the larder. This fish was well over 50lb, a sparsley scaled mirror, I was certain I knew which one. GAME ON. That night was the most exciting of my fishing life. I could barely sleep. At 5am I was awoken to an absolute one toner, a one toner that just kept going and going and going. As I scrambled into my waders and slipped my life jacket on whilst holding the rod in my left hand. I was straight in the boat and out to the spot in an instant on full throttle. Reeling like crazy to take up the slack, whilst keeping a bend in the rod like a lunatic. All steering of the boat is done with the rod. I was close to the island, this fish had gone on an incredible first run. I got somewhere close to above it, and immeaditly felt the grate. My mono was caught around something, but the fish just boiled up over there, and it's a monster. Panic stations. I was still in contact with the fish, but my line was caught around something. In this situation from the boat it's hard work getting the purchase you need. I felt the fish go crazy one last time and all went slack. I reeled up a snapped rig. 30lb flouro which is tow rope, had been broken like cotton. I was using short combi links, with a 30lb boom. The 30lb boom had snapped. A 60lb carp on a short line has a lot of power. Especially a big male. I went back to the bank, praying I had not just lost the machine. Hoping it was the 50+. Imagine that. Quite a crazy thought. Hoping you had just lost a mid 50, because the other one, was actually much bigger. It was catastrophic, but onwards we must go. There are fish now on it. Forget that, it's called fishing, not catching. Losing big fish is all part of the game that has to be dealt with. Especially somewhere like that. They were there though, and I needed to capitalse fully. All rods in, out comes the green 25lb Big Game mono, off come the combi rigs, on go 30lb coated braid multi rigs. Tiny little short ones with big size 4 beaked point hook. I went back out to the spot, to re drop, it was a scene of devastation, a crime scene. They had dug down into the gravel so far. They had turned the small spot, into a runway landing strip. I placed the rods, fanned the lines, and put a load more garlic hemp on the spot. Nothing happened on my last night. Losing a fish is always much worse than catching one, it always ruins the swim normally. I told no one whatsoever what had happened. No one. I put 30kg on the spot when I left, and went home gagging to get back. I knew I was about to catch. I just had to make sure nothing went wrong this time.
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1658 29 Jun 2023 at 8.43am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1657
Clearly work was hard that week. I got back down the lake on Sunday evening, and all three rods were put out on the spot. It was the first of July now, summer was in full flow. The motorway bank had calmed down since Deans capture of the machine, no one had fished there apart from me for a month or so. But the sunbathers and swimmers were a nightmare. Covid and lockdowns, had meant the whole world wanted to be outside, in the fresh air, and they did just that. Theale is so public, at times it can become a touch wearing. But these are the things you have to put up with for the prizes. It was clear when I placed the rods that the spot was smashed again. Large holes. I had a new toy this week, an Atropa green marker. My plan was, to place this at the back of my spot, set three foot under the surface. I wanted to leave it there. But it had to be deep enough that the propeller of a speed boat would not smash it to bits. I wrapped the tip in reflective 3m tape, so I could find the marker easily in the dark. An atropa marker swivels at the bottom and will lay over if a carp goes around it. I used half a house brick as the anchor. It took some messing around placing it in the deeper water off the back of the spot in the weed, to hide it from curious boaters in the crystal clear water. But I managed it superbly. Now when the nights started to draw in, I could find my marker in the dark. Important when I needed to wait for the sailing club to leave everyday, before placing my rods. That night I was so full of anticipation. I knew what was coming, just be ready Mark. I watched through my binoculars the following morning, and saw the lakes big common clear the water twice over my spot. It was clearly a common, so golden, but it was massive. One of my rods simply went into meltdown as I watched through the bins. Everything went as smooth as silk. Waders, life jacket, into the boat, out to the spot. As I got above the fish, it towed me around for a while, but I had this smug grin on my face hahahaha you're mine..... Then the hook pulled.

You would not wanted to have been anywhere near me, trust me. I went back into the bank, launched the rod into the bushes, and sat down and sulked. It was like the world had just ended. I might have just lost a 61lb mirror and a mid 50 common. It could not get any worse. I pulled myself back together, and had a rethink. At that range, with the weed and the nature of the pit, the micro barbed Gardner talon tip hooks I was using, the barb was to small. The older versions which I preferred to use on the river Thames, they were coming out. These have a much larger beefier barb which does hinder penetration, but using 6oz leads and spring bow indicators at extreme range, hook pentertration was the last of my worries, I just needed them not to fall out! This was extreme fishing, and it called for extreme tackle. The following morning at 5am I had another one toner. I jumped into the boat, it all went like clockwork. Out there like a shot on speed number 5, she towed me around for a while in the middle of the pond, but ultimately I landed the football common. It was clear which fish it was, it was a foot and a half across the back! Well I had not lost that the day before to the hook pull it seems. I rolled her up in the net, placed her along side the boat facing the right way, and gently made my way back to the bank. Her bulk was truly incredible on the mat. My Le Graviers unhooking mat has one foot sides on it. Laid on her side she absolutely towered above these. She was clearly spawned out, and still weighed 55lb6oz. She must have been close to, if not over 60lb before spawning. I popped her in a sack while I got myself together and it got properly light. I spoke to a couple of friends on the phone, who were all sworn to secrecy. I would not even get anyone down to do photos, she was a new personal best by one pound, but it would be self takes for you my girl. I set up a video camera to record a little film, and took what turned out to be pretty rubbish photos of her. I did not care, there was more to be caught for sure. This time when I replaced the rod, there was big storm brewing. I only had one hour of light to sort my rod after the sailing club left, but wanted it back on the spot. White capped waves were rolling in, and the sky had a look of doom. As I got about a quarter of the way out, I noticed a tiny little frog, who had clearly struggled into my boat to avoid the white capped waves and certain death. As the waves lapped over the front of my boat, getting more and more violent the further out I got, I looked down at my new friend Freddy the frog, and made a pact with him. I'll keep you safe Freddy, please, please keep me safe. I was at a point where it was "shall I go back, or kick on, come on Freddy, lets go for it".
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1657 29 Jun 2023 at 8.42am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1656
I bailed water out of the boat with one hand, while grasping onto the tiler with the other. Once I got out there behind the cover of a big island, I had a bit more shelter from the wind. It was still a nightmare placing the rod. I made a pact with Freddy, to never, ever be so stupid, not ever again. And also to get my self inflate lifejacket checked soon. I am good in a boat, I am a great swimmer too, but that became a touch to much for the sake of a carp. Me and Freddy made it back safe, and I made sure he was okay. He was absolutely mullered by that storm.

The following morning I was away again on the replaced rod, this was getting crazy now, four bites in a week was more than I could have ever wished for in my wildest dreams.... But it was happening, so I better wake up fast. This fish really gave me the run around, everything went smoothly, I was out there like a shot. But this carp was on steroids. It towed my boat around for ages, I thought it was never going to give up! But the bigger barbed hooks held firm, and a whole monsterous ball of weed and carp was eventually bundled into the net. Back on the bank, this fish was far better in my eyes than the common. Much smaller at 40 something, but so much more beautiful. I once again done some self takes, a little video, and slipped her back. No one at all was any the wiser.

I fished hard over the next three weeks. But all three trips were null and void. Bait was remaining on the spot too, far more worryingly. All of it. They had done the off for now. Hardly surprising, if there are thirty carp in there now, I had just hooked nearly 15% of them in the last week. That is going to have a big effect on them. It was time to let everyone else know. I was given permission to put them online. I knew what would happen slightly, and it did. 240 kilos was put into the swim next door the weekend the fish appeared online. To claim the swim as such. The weed had now grown up to a point, I was picked up a couple of times by the sailing boats on race night. It was becoming hard to keep my rods in the water. Fishing at extreme range really can take it out of you. I was waiting all day to place my rods just on dark, then often having two of them moved, by boat, or weed bergs, by 10am. Then waiting all day again to repeat the procedure. Tigers started to float in on the wind that were popping up from somewhere on the lake, rotting and stinking. I left the pit, went back to Brazil on a long holiday and had an amazing winter that year. And have never been back ever since. I no longer have a ticket for the pit. My actual fishing time there, was actually incredibly short. Spread over two separate years in 2018 and 2021. I am certain I lost the machine, that very first bite. When the king of the pond decides that the spot is his, like he had done that day. It was very likely to have been him. I never saw him out there again either. Despite many days spent all day watching through binoculars. He would not have let another carp near that spot, maybe one or two others in his little clique, but I would doubt that. I would imagine I lost him that very first bite after seeing him guard the spot. And likely lost the mid 50 I saw as well as the second bite. You can never win them all. I landed three fish from Theale lagoon in pretty quick time, I was very happy with that.

That was written in memory of Paul Forward. Paul had messaged me to say well done after those fish were made public. If you could see your way to making a small donation on the just giving link below, it would be so very much appreciated. Anything you can afford, big or small. MND is a horrible disease, the more money that can be raised, the better. Thank you.
Posts: 6406
   Old Thread  #1656 24 Jun 2023 at 10.35am  1  Login    Register
In reply to Post #1654
Linear Fishery Social Weekend - gofundme page
Posts: 3389
   Old Thread  #1654 24 Jun 2023 at 10.16am  1  Login    Register
Thank you all, glad you enjoyed it. I have a week off this week and a little time I donít normally get.

This weekend, there is a charity event in memory of Paul Forward. Itís raising money for motor neurone disease which Paul suffered from. Iím on holiday but would like to do something to help them raise more money. They have already raised over £17k, an incredible amount and Oz Holness should be proud.

If you enjoyed that about the Nursery, go and make a small donation please. Anything. 50p, £5, whatever you can afford.

I will write something this week if you do, about my short time fishing on Theale Lagoon. I will post it on Facebook & on here for free. Just like the Nursery post below. All you need to do is click on the link below and make a very small donation. I did not know Paul really well, but I met him many years ago when I was fishing the Ocean in Kent. He came down to see Simon Bater who was fishing the Road & Island next door. Paul was fishing for the Swirly common at the time, which I had caught previously. So we had a common interest in Milton Pan and got on well. Paul was a builder, he went fishing because he loved it, not to be famous or get get some free boilie stops. He fished a lot of the same Kent pits that I have during my lifetime, just never at the same time.

Paul messaged me to say well done when I caught the big common from Theale. Itís no publicity now, so you are not likely to hear much about it. If you all make a small donation if you are able too, I will write an in depth piece about my short time fishing on the 270+ acre pit in 2020 this week.

I canít do links, if someone could make that a link it would be appreciated.

Page: 33 of 139  
   Advertising disclosure  
  © Copyright 2002-2024  - contact :