With the forecast 'suggesting rain next week, who's getting down on the lakes to catch any changes in fish activity?
I'm hoping to plot up on my water by the dam end,the reason being, if the predictions are wrong/delayed I've got the deeper,as well as shallower opportunities to cover the bases (it's just a matter of casting distance) or.........should I go to the top,all shallow end where the incoming spring feeds the water? They're feeding at night with depth over their heads
and just mooching the shallows in this hot weather. It's a hard call as the majority could be at one end of the lake or the other and may be an all or nothing gamble. The shallow,spring fed area has ,obviously, zero depth while the other end can provide both scenarios but is furthest away from fresh inflow.
About 5 acres in total,bays,pads,stream bed down the middle,a typical ancient hand dug lake,part of a chain of lakes dug to provide flow for a water wheel (long gone) at the end of the line.
Thoughts guys?
*Assuming the water isn't closed.
I'm hoping to plot up on my water by the dam end,the reason being, if the predictions are wrong/delayed I've got the deeper,as well as shallower opportunities to cover the bases (it's just a matter of casting distance) or.........should I go to the top,all shallow end where the incoming spring feeds the water? They're feeding at night with depth over their heads
and just mooching the shallows in this hot weather. It's a hard call as the majority could be at one end of the lake or the other and may be an all or nothing gamble. The shallow,spring fed area has ,obviously, zero depth while the other end can provide both scenarios but is furthest away from fresh inflow.
About 5 acres in total,bays,pads,stream bed down the middle,a typical ancient hand dug lake,part of a chain of lakes dug to provide flow for a water wheel (long gone) at the end of the line.
Thoughts guys?
*Assuming the water isn't closed.
In reply to Post #1
I know its "Old Skool" but why not wait till you get there to see where the fish are ?!?
I know its "Old Skool" but why not wait till you get there to see where the fish are ?!?
In reply to Post #2
This
This
In reply to Post #2
Limited choice of swims,1 bank closed completely, i can book the dam swim but not others, this swim is remote of the rest of the lake, where the fish bask isn't necessarily where they feed, I am unlikely to be able to move once there as there are only 7 swims in total and I can book the only plot on that side of the lake. Basically, I have to prepare for a 1 chance scenario. Other anglers will be present,guaranteed.
So,only the one swim on that entire side of the lake and potentially multiple lines crossing the water on the other side but none will be able to intrude into the area around 'my' swim.
Textbooks don't apply,if only it were that simple, hence the post.
What would you do ?
Limited choice of swims,1 bank closed completely, i can book the dam swim but not others, this swim is remote of the rest of the lake, where the fish bask isn't necessarily where they feed, I am unlikely to be able to move once there as there are only 7 swims in total and I can book the only plot on that side of the lake. Basically, I have to prepare for a 1 chance scenario. Other anglers will be present,guaranteed.
So,only the one swim on that entire side of the lake and potentially multiple lines crossing the water on the other side but none will be able to intrude into the area around 'my' swim.
Textbooks don't apply,if only it were that simple, hence the post.
What would you do ?
In reply to Post #1
its going to be a funny one, the weather appears to be cooling down on Monday with 3 days of thunderstorms, the DO levels will crash so the carp probably wont act like we may think.
Towards end of next week things cool down a little further and the carp will have adjusted a bit more then
its going to be a funny one, the weather appears to be cooling down on Monday with 3 days of thunderstorms, the DO levels will crash so the carp probably wont act like we may think.
Towards end of next week things cool down a little further and the carp will have adjusted a bit more then
In reply to Post #4
Where there is less pressure and lines seems a decent plan. I would guess the pre booked dam swim is pretty popular though !
Where there is less pressure and lines seems a decent plan. I would guess the pre booked dam swim is pretty popular though !
Yep, it's the perfect weather conditions for waters to “Invert” - Sunday into Monday morning, probably more of a chance this weekend than on the 19th July, everyone really needs to be on guard.
Been filling Petrol Cans today, ready for running the Pumps right through the night into Monday again
Update:
~ There was no issues at all- as a nice breeze started to blow around 10pm and chilled the lake down gradually rather than dramatically, better being safe than sorry thou always better to be on the bank watching.
Been filling Petrol Cans today, ready for running the Pumps right through the night into Monday again
Update:
~ There was no issues at all- as a nice breeze started to blow around 10pm and chilled the lake down gradually rather than dramatically, better being safe than sorry thou always better to be on the bank watching.