Yesterday received email back from my solicitor stating that a doorma added to the side of a house (1986) that we are looking to buy has had planning approved but it seems that there are no building reg sign offs for it.
The doorma gives extra room im a bedroom and also added a shower / toilet etc.
Anyone had / experienced this before?
Agent is going back the owner (was his mums house) but he says doubtful he will reduce.
Not sure what to do.
The doorma gives extra room im a bedroom and also added a shower / toilet etc.
Anyone had / experienced this before?
Agent is going back the owner (was his mums house) but he says doubtful he will reduce.
Not sure what to do.
In reply to Post #1
Get in touch with your local council and ask them why it has not been signed off , i have known them to misplace things,
I wouldn't buy it yet as you might need to make alterations if it doesn't comply with building regs ,
Get in touch with your local council and ask them why it has not been signed off , i have known them to misplace things,
I wouldn't buy it yet as you might need to make alterations if it doesn't comply with building regs ,
In reply to Post #1
Had the same thing with a extension, contacted council, something to do with crossover of 2 systems, old and new, wasn't on the new but was the old, they amended the records, no hold up at all, was around the same time as you too.
As said, give the council a call
Had the same thing with a extension, contacted council, something to do with crossover of 2 systems, old and new, wasn't on the new but was the old, they amended the records, no hold up at all, was around the same time as you too.
As said, give the council a call
I know some builders ‘cough, cough splutter' who could put it you right. Just let me know if you want a lifetime of stress.
The two story extension that was on a house i bought some years ago had No planning permission, and was built some years before , the solicitor dealt with it and the council granted Retrospective planning permission and the seller had to pay an indemnity.
Something along those lines ,it was a long time ago .
Something along those lines ,it was a long time ago .
In reply to Post #4
Even the word gets you wound up now!
God help the kids if they put Bob the Builder on eh?
Got to love your commitment to the cause though fella
Even the word gets you wound up now!
God help the kids if they put Bob the Builder on eh?
Got to love your commitment to the cause though fella
In reply to Post #1
Seller needs to supply you with an indemnity covering the work. Solicitor will sort it.
Seller needs to supply you with an indemnity covering the work. Solicitor will sort it.
In reply to Post #6
Couldn't believe it when reading the heading of the thread as it may be the case that we have to sue building control too.
Used to have a lovely married couple opposite us who were named Bob and Hilda and funnily enough I used to sing ‘Bob and Hilda can you fix it, Bob and Hilda yes you can'.
Couldn't believe it when reading the heading of the thread as it may be the case that we have to sue building control too.
Used to have a lovely married couple opposite us who were named Bob and Hilda and funnily enough I used to sing ‘Bob and Hilda can you fix it, Bob and Hilda yes you can'.
In reply to Post #6
Our solicitor asked for details of the planning permission on a house we purchased.
The seller was in a hurry to sell and claimed that the conservatory did not need the permission and the council told him he did not need any. He had no paperwork to back this up.
We ended up holding 20 k back in until planning permission was signed off.
The seller was in a hurry to sell and claimed that the conservatory did not need the permission and the council told him he did not need any. He had no paperwork to back this up.
We ended up holding 20 k back in until planning permission was signed off.
In reply to Post #11
Thanks all for advice.
Got other issues with buying it now (probate) but not going to worry about it...spoke to mortgage man/solicitors all said as it was in 86 wouldn't worry.
Thanks all for advice.
Got other issues with buying it now (probate) but not going to worry about it...spoke to mortgage man/solicitors all said as it was in 86 wouldn't worry.