CarpForum.co.uk brand mark, a blue stylized fish with a white eye and a smooth modern look, set in the site header against a clean background CarpForum.co.uk wordmark in a bold flowing script style, reading CarpForum.co.uk, displayed in the site header
Menu
Utils
Go Premium Who's Online Members Weather Venues Photo Gallery Articles Events calendar
Account
Login Register
Coronavirus and carping (292 posts / 26,242 views)
dorymaster dorymaster
Posts: 1,427
Post #151 15 Mar 2020 16:00
0
In reply to Post #150
Cretelakes have updated there website to say trips are going ahead as planned. ATM......
AdeP AdeP
Posts: 152
Post #152 15 Mar 2020 16:43
0
In reply to Post #151
So it appears that some lakes are offering refunds and others telling their clients to claim from their holiday insurance. Most lakes expect the balance payment around 8 weeks prior to the holiday so what will anglers do in the coming weeks if their chosen lake is one that does not offer refunds ? They face the dilemma of paying several hundred additional pounds knowing that there is not much chance of getting anything back should the borders become closed.

I personally have already paid a balance payment for a week at the end of April with a lake that is so far stating that you should ensure that you have comprehensive insurance.

The problem that I see for lake owners that take the stance of not being prepared to provide refunds is that their clients will not make the balance payments for fear of losing even more money....
carpe_diem carpe_diem
Posts: 1,982
Post #153 15 Mar 2020 17:12
0
In reply to Post #152
I agree , it's gonna affect the fishery owners both ways , if they offer a full refund fair play , but those that don't offer a refund are going to end up with just deposits but that could mean 50% you lose and 50% they lose , we'll see how many ‘reputable' fisheries do decide to refund , at least that way the angler will be happy
Andy_P Andy_P
Posts: 7,991
Post #154 15 Mar 2020 17:22
0
The only obvious choice on pending fishing trips abroad has to be an understanding between the customer and owner, if the balance hasn't been paid then an agreement should be, pay on arrival if it's possible to go.

I wouldn't be happy if an owner said, sorry we are open so it's your problem, claim on your insurance, if you can't get here. By rights if the country concerned is in lockdown, then you have to stay indoors, not sitting beside a lake fishing and a registered recreational business shouldn't be trading!
AdeP AdeP
Posts: 152
Post #155 15 Mar 2020 17:39
0
In reply to Post #153
I would still love to go on my trip if there is a possibility however my instincts tell me there is not much chance given that France is only a few days behind what is happening in Spain.

I will post on here the outcome including the lake owners stance when it comes to reimbursement or not.
BigYellowCroc BigYellowCroc
Posts: 2,157
Post #156 15 Mar 2020 18:16
0
In reply to Post #144
Thanks for the P&O link..........
Shame it is only available through the new bookings page............
I was looking at their main pages, where there is still no mention.

Smufter Smufter
Posts: 3,631
Post #157 16 Mar 2020 06:36
0
In reply to Post #153
We're supposed to be going out on the 6th June for a week.
Small fishery, we've visited it a few times now and have become firm friends with the owner. Have paid in full.
I've "casually" broached the subject with her regarding a possible curtailment due to ferry/tunnel closures and she has responded thus...... "Obviously you will get your week at some point hopefully the week you've booked. x" so I'm assuming that she'll roll the week over for us.
KenTownley KenTownley
Posts: 30,593
Post #158 16 Mar 2020 08:22
0
We were due to start our first week of a 2-week stay on Saturday 14th March. Rang the owner to cancel and he told me, No problem. Come back when you can.

Nobody seems to know how long this crisis is likely to last. Most pundits are suggesting spring 2021, or until an effective vaccine is available. Who knows? Certainly not that prize vvanker pillock Piers Morgan.
Andy_P Andy_P
Posts: 7,991
Post #159 16 Mar 2020 11:40
0
In reply to Post #158
Most pundits are suggesting spring 2021,

I haven't seen that anywhere Ken, if that were to happen it would be the end of the world as we know it.
TomCrosby
Posts: 2,556
Post #160 16 Mar 2020 11:50
0
In reply to Post #158
Might as well disregard vaccines/medicine. As far as I know there hasn't been a drug since WW2 that has been developed, tested, trialled and 'sold' within 12 months.
ocelot ocelot
Posts: 1,802
Post #161 16 Mar 2020 12:43
0
In reply to Post #160
It doesn't necessarily need a "new" antiviral drug to combat this virus.
I watched a talking head US Prof yesterday on possible drugs to tackle this virus. Remdesivir- A drug developed for Ebola originally is very promising he said.
TomCrosby
Posts: 2,556
Post #162 16 Mar 2020 12:53
0
In reply to Post #161
There's already been papers written that are highly sceptical of Remdesivir. Likely the Prof. you mention is on Gilead's payroll, makes sense for him to be positive about it.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Just got to try and stay as healthy as possible; hydrated, balanced diet, good sleep, be as clean as you can be & see what happens.
ocelot ocelot
Posts: 1,802
Post #163 16 Mar 2020 13:16
0
In reply to Post #162
He implied the results of the trials being run in China, S Korea and the US would be known in days. So hopefully we'll see soon.
Meanwhile do as you say
Halfcentury
Posts: 1,284
Post #164 16 Mar 2020 16:31
0
In reply to Post #163
The day a truly effective anti viral drug as effective as antibiotics were/are against bacterial diseases we will hear about it in no uncertain terms. Be very wary of anybody including large drug companies mentioning branded/TM drugs.
Andy_P Andy_P
Posts: 7,991
Post #165 16 Mar 2020 17:22
0
Here is the official statement from Abbey Lakes.

As being one of the oldest player in the fishing world for the last 20 years, we feel it's important to officialise our statement regarding the actual holiday issues linked to the COVID-19 and invite all other french fisheries to follow the initiative in order to treat all anglers equally wherever they've booked their holidays in France !
We all know the actual situation and we all know it's changing fast but for this reason we would like to confirm that we will try to support financially as much as we can our booked anglers.
This statement will only concern (for the moment) next 30 days, which means all booking from now till 18th of April. If french borders get closed or if french adminstration asks us to close the complex or if we are not able anymore to provide the right qualitative service we've done till now towards our anglers , we will close the complex and propose those concerned anglers to refund their balance amount as we won't be able to postpone their angling session later this year as we are already fully booked.
Regarding the serious cashflow issue we will encounter by applying this statement we will be able to refund your balance amount at 50% at your request and the other 50% begin september which will give us the time to claim back all our VAT reimbursement. I hope this makes sense for everyone and that you can also understand our side of the situation.
Regarding coming balance payments due normally 10 weeks before arrival we invite you to pay them as usual bearing in mind now that if the situation evoluates in the future we will continue to apply same rules described above. If you still don't feel confident with this official statement we will allow our anglers booked between 18th of April and 06th of June to pay their balance amount in euros at arrival.
Fishing at Abbey is not only being after big fish but it's also being part of a real and strong community. So lets us all stick together and let us all beat this f** situation all together !
Don't worry...be ABBEY...✌️
SEB

Are you sure?

This action cannot be undone.

Yes, continue

Loading…